It is possible to relieve dry cough with home remedies such as ginger, honey and lemon syrup, honey, eucalyptus vapor, and onion. Dry cough or irritative cough occurs without any phlegm or expectoration, prevalent in cold and various infections and diseases of the respiratory tract that irritate these. It is also a mutual condition among smokers or persons who suffer from allergies. However, a dry cough can cause significant discomfort and pain, especially when there are intense attacks; that’s why in One HOWTO, we give you some home remedies for dry cough that will help you relieve and cure this condition.
- Types and causes of dry cough
- Homemade syrup of anise, cloves and chamomile
- Homemade syrup of ginger, honey and lemon for dry cough
- milk and honey
- Dark chocolate
- Cola and onion to treat dry cough
- Pet to relieve dry cough
- Vapors of eucalyptus, laurel and lemon
- Garlic, olive oil and thyme
- Home remedies for dry cough in children
Types and Causes Of Dry Cough
Before knowing the different usual remedies that can help you relieve this annoying symptom, it is good to be able to recognize what type of dry cough we have since there are two different types:
- Acute: lasting three weeks or less.
- Chronic: Extending for more than three weeks.
It is essential to see the causes of persistent cough in both cases, as it is usually a symptom due to another health problem. Thus, when treating the condition that originates it, we will see how it disappears and, therefore, if your dry cough lasts for more than a week, it is essential that you visit the doctor.
To treat the problem that reasons this irritative symptom, it is necessary to know possible causes. In the situation of dry cough, there are several likely causes :
- The mutual cold.
- Respiratory infections.
- Frustration of the respiratory tract due to breathing chemicals and harmful substances.
If this complaint is a symptom of an illness or infection, it must be treated medically to improve. Otherwise, no home remedy will work effectively.
Homemade Syrup Of Anise, Cloves and Chamomile
When this condition is caused by a cold, several home remedies for dry cough will help you recover as soon as possible. You can make an aromatic and delightful homemade syrup by mixing anise, cloves, and chamomile.
- Prepare the chamomile infusion, let it boil and then add the anise and cloves.
- Allow it to boil for 5 minutes so that all the aromas and properties are released, turn off the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Strain and mix the liquid with honey and lemon juice to taste and store the mixture in a container or jar that is convenient for you.
- Take two tablespoons of this natural syrup three times a day, and you will notice a quick relief from dry cough.
Here you can study more about How to make homemade cough syrup .
Homemade Syrup Of Ginger, Honey and Lemon for Dry Cough
Another genuine homemade syrup is the one that syndicates the properties of lemon, ginger and honey. These ingredients are very actual against this annoying indication, and ginger is perfect for its antiviral and antibacterial goods; it is also a remedy for cough with phlegm. To make this regular syrup, you will need a jar to store the syrup, three slices of lemon, raw dark honey and 3 pieces of ginger.
- To prepare it, you will have to boil the slices of ginger and lemon in water and the container with the honey; add the liquid resulting from boiling these two foods for 15 minutes.
- Mix everything well until it is uniform and store it in the fridge; you can keep it cold for up to 2 and a half months.
- You can take a large spoonful 2 or 3 times a day or add it to a cup of hot water to melt a little and take it as a drink at the same time.
We also recommend reading this other article on Using ginger for cough.
Milk and Honey
An excellent natural antibiotic and antiviral, milk combined with honey are among the most unadorned home medicines for dry cough. Now half a glass of warm milk, add dual teaspoons of love, then drink three or four times a daytime to recover this condition. It is essential that the milk is lukewarm and not very hot, as this could annoy the throat and raise distress.
Keep in mind that this remedy is only suggested for dry coughs; if you have a cough with phlegm, the milk will increase the mucus, which is harmful.
Do you love dark chocolate? The good news, this ingredient helps relieve dry coughs due to its high theobromine content. It is enough to eat 56 g of dark chocolate a day so that you can improve your dry cough. This remedy can be combined with any other homemade alternatives if you want to achieve a better effect. Yes, keep in mind that it must be dark chocolate, with a purity greater than 80%.
Cola and Onion To Treat Dry Cough
A combination may seem strange at first but is very effective in treating dry cough naturally. It is about making a drink by joining Coca-Cola (or any other cola brand) with onion. Due to the goods of this soft drink, along with the ability of onion to improve respiratory conditions, this home remedy is a good and straightforward option.
- You have to boil a glass of Coca-Cola with some onion pieces for three minutes.
- Strain the mixture.
- When it is lukewarm, drink it just before sleeping, and you will see how your dry cough is relieved during the night, as this is one of the best home remedies for dry cough at night.
Honey To Relieve Dry Cough
Honey is a great ally to treat this condition due to its antibacterial, antibiotic and disinfectant properties, so it comes in handy for both dry cough and cough with phlegm. There are several cough remedies with honey that you can use, but we offer you the simplest of all: a tablespoon of dark honey 3 times a day as a syrup.
Dark honey is, according to research, more effective than light honey. Though, if you do not find this type, you can consume clear honey. Learn more about How to use honey for coughs with this other article.
Vapors Of Eucalyptus, Laurel And Lemon
Vapors or vapors are among the best home remedies for dry cough, also effective in nasal congestion. We find two perfect plants among the various options, the eucalyptus and the laurel. Then, adding a few drops of lemon juice will benefit you to relieve dry cough.
- You need to boil a handful of either of these two leaves or a few drops of their essential oils in water for 10 minutes.
- Then turn off, add about 10 drops of lemon juice and inhale the steam that emanates, covering your head with a towel.
- You can do it 2 or 3 times a day .
Garlic, Olive Oil and Thyme
Finally, we recommend a natural remedy with garlic, olive oil and thyme that is very effective and easy to prepare. Garlic is a potent natural antibiotic; olive oil moisturizes a sore throat and soothes it quickly; thyme remains an excellent antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. Thus, to prepare a usual remedy with these ingredients, you will have to follow these steps:
- Crush 10 cloves of garlic in a bowl in a cup.
- Fill it with olive oil and add 5 sprigs of thyme.
- Let it rest for a whole day and strain the mixture, keeping the resulting liquid in a jar with a lid, from which you can take 1 tablespoon every day on an empty stomach until you no longer have a cough or until the mixture is finished.
Home Medicines for Dry Cough in Babies and Children
The situation of the little ones is somewhat different from that of adolescents and adults because babies and children are still developing their immune systems and are much more sensitive to foods and medicinal plants. Therefore, it is convenient to know which are the best natural remedies for dry cough in children and babies :
- If the baby is still breastfeeding, the best natural way to help him is to give him breast milk, which will relieve the symptoms and strengthen his immune system.
- In the case of children, one of the best selections is to place cut onions under their bed to inhale the vapors at night, which are beneficial for treating both dryness and cough, and even for cases with mucus.
- They must stay well hydrated, so they must be given plenty of water to drink throughout the day unless they are breastfeeding; since then, breast milk nourishes and hydrates them.
- Place humidifiers in your home, especially in the child’s room, to help keep the throat and airways well hydrated.
- Honey is not recommended for babies, as it can cause allergies because it contains pollen residues; however, in the case of a young child who has already used it more times.
- Remember that if the cough remains persistent and does not subside despite home or commercial remedies, it is essential to visit a doctor.